You have options to remain living independently at home

You have options to remain living independently at home 

If you wish to remain living independently at home but need a helping hand, home support through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme may be the answer you are looking for.  

In 2018, over 783,000 people accessed the Commonwealth Home Support Program. In early 2019 the Federal Government announced an extra $282 million in funding for home care packages. It is expected that the funding will enable an extra 10,000 people to receive home care packages.


What type of support is available through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme? 

Australians are living longer, and the Royal Commission is highlighting that our elderly are determined to remain independent and living at home. The Commonwealth Home Support Programme provides services to assist ageing Australians to remain living at home. Services available through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme include: 

  • Community and home support services such as personal care, help with household chores or home maintenance services; 

  • Meals and food services such as help with shopping, meal preparation or meal delivery; 

  • Allied health support services including physiotherapy, speech pathology or occupational therapy; and 

  • Respite care services for carers to take a break. 

How can you access this service? 

You can access the Commonwealth Home Support Programme through your My Aged Care account, or you may be referred through a hospital or your GP. To register with My Aged Care, we recommend you visit the Navigating My Aged Care website which will guide you through the application process.   


For more information or to read more about this article click here.

Understanding the My Aged Care processes can be daunting, so we are here to help. If you or someone you know would like further information or advice about the Commonwealth Home Support Program, please contact the Suncare Customer Service Team on 1800 786 227.   

Call us on 1800 786 227 or